Contract Review SOP - Help Understanding Unclear Language

Kurt Smith

Starting to get Involved
We recently had our first ISO 9001 internal audit after I came aboard as quality manager. As we are a small place without a lot of quality experience, we contracted out the audit and it went really well. But when she was going through our quality manual/Standard Operating Procedures, she pointed out some language she didn't recognize. Her recommendation was to either find what this was meant to reference or remove it from the manual. Well so far no one here remembers what this is. I was wondering if anyone here had some ideas if this is a required line, or if I am good to remove it.

The SOP is shown below. The line in question is "Create the Job Entry".

1. PURPOSE:
To identify the process for determining and reviewing requirements related to the product and communicating with the customer.

2. REQUIREMENTS:
Customer and Product requirements are determined and reviewed during this process, prior to acceptance and submission of confirmation to the customer.

PROCEDURES:
Receive customer RFQ. Review the job requirements to determine if we can meet the customer demands.

Create the formal Quote or email confirmation of pricing and delivery. Forward Quote to upper management for approval. Once approval is obtained, submit Quote to Customer. Quotes can be submitted formally or informally, however the customer requires.

Forward the information to the customer. Quotes are not always required.

Receive and review the customer order and confirm that pricing, delivery dates, and all applicable requirements are understood and acceptable and that we have the resources necessary to complete the order. This includes confirming special requirements and any associated risks, such as short delivery times, lead times for outside processing, etc.

Create the Job Entry.

Provide Order Acknowledgement to the customer, as and if required.

Note: When orders are revised after acceptance, the organization shall ensure that relevant documented information is amended, and that relevant persons are made aware of the changes.

RECORDS:
Job Sheet
Customer Purchase Order

RELATED DOCUMENTATION:
SOP-02, Record Control​

Contract Review SOP - Help Understanding Unclear Language

Kurt Smith

Starting to get Involved
To be clear we don't have any paperwork called "Job Entry". My best guess is it was supposed to be whatever our internal record of upcoming work is. But we don't currently have any single record that covers that. At least not one that is updated at the point of accepting the customer bid. I just need to know if it will cause red flags for us to not have lis line in the SOP.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Sounds to me like that is your order entry. 1) Receive PO from customer. 2) Enter order into the system. 3) Send acknowledgment to customer.

Now after you enter the order, do you create any work orders for production, or the like?

It's not a required statement -- Walk back thru this process and change it to the language you're currently using.

Kurt Smith

Starting to get Involved
Or remove it entirely. It isn't needed. It is a clear example of over documentation and the impact of over documentation.
That is the direction I am leaning. We don't have a full list or document at that stage of getting orders. If it isn't an ISO requirement to make that document, then we don't want to commit to making it.

Golfman25

That is the direction I am leaning. We don't have a full list or document at that stage of getting orders. If it isn't an ISO requirement to make that document, then we don't want to commit to making it.
I think it's less "ISO" and more just saying what you do. I would think it's pretty automatic - receive order, enter order, confirm order. You may be able to use the documents to show "contract review" but you don't necessarily have to.

Kurt Smith

Starting to get Involved
My problem is that there is a break in process depending on which customer is making the order. Our main customer has an automatic system that we sign into that populates with work assigned to us. Our major customers are added to a production schedule once the order is confirmed. And small local jobs are simply pushed to a traveler package without touching a schedule.
There isn't a single document we cant point to and call our Job Entry or Order Entry. It seems like this is an unnecessary line that will only serve to cause and auditor to dig more. So I will probably remove it.

Golfman25

My problem is that there is a break in process depending on which customer is making the order. Our main customer has an automatic system that we sign into that populates with work assigned to us. Our major customers are added to a production schedule once the order is confirmed. And small local jobs are simply pushed to a traveler package without touching a schedule.
There isn't a single document we cant point to and call our Job Entry or Order Entry. It seems like this is an unnecessary line that will only serve to cause and auditor to dig more. So I will probably remove it.
You can have more than one "entry document" depending on who the customer his. As I said, walk thru the process and fill in the hole. I think you just have a semantic issue -- "Job Entry" -- call it anything you want. But there is clearly something there, no??? Could it be the "job sheet" that is listed as a record?

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
Agreed... I'd revise the document to serve its purpose. If you have a line in it that no one follows, it shouldn't be there. If no one knows what it means, no one is following it. Revise the document to be useful in guiding users through the process, which is why you have SOPs.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
You can have more than one "entry document" depending on who the customer his. As I said, walk thru the process and fill in the hole. I think you just have a semantic issue -- "Job Entry" -- call it anything you want. But there is clearly something there, no??? Could it be the "job sheet" that is listed as a record?
Thats how im reading it here following on from our secondary contract review n the office which is pretty much what their recieve and review statement is, we then book the job on to our sytem. Our paperwork is then created jobcards, despatch notes CofC'c etc from "booking the job in" or entering the job onto our system or "job entry". Its sematics as you say IMHO.

Top Bottom